Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gay Senior Citizens

Marvin Levin: gay, Jewish, 61 years old. Sounds a lot like me in 40 years. Except one thing: he just came out! Here is what he said in the The Chicago Tribune:

"It was the first time I'd ever put words to that," Levin said. "It was like an epiphany. And then I looked back on my life and said, 'You dummy, of course you are [gay].'

I hope that more seniors who felt scared to come out in the 50s and 60s and felt compelled to marry and live a heterosexual life now take the opportunity to embrace their newfound gay identity. Seniors are a part of the gay community that we cannot dismiss, even if gay culture puts too much emphasis (and it does) on youth and beauty, and their coming out process is just as hard, emotional, and pleasing for them as it is for any 20 year old coming out.

As Marvin says, ""I'm just glad that I figured it out."

Congrats Marvin!
---------------------
For more information: The Center on Halsted has a senior program called SAGE - Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders - that offers free lunch, yoga classes, counseling, and discussion groups.

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO! I applaud any action to try to connect the younger and older gay generations. The Generation gap is greatest in the gay male community, by the way, and I think its an important thing for us to bridge! I'm glad you're making an effort! This is Phil, by the way, I blog at ameriqueer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete