Monday, June 22, 2009

Obama's Memorandum Revisited

I need to revisit my post on Obama's memorandum for a brief moment or two. I found this column in The Huffington Post written by Emma Ruby-Sachs. Like Leibnitz and Newton's independent contributions in the development of differential and integral calculus, she and I came independently to approximately the same conclusion about Obama's ulterior motive for signing the memorandum.

Essentially, her argument is similar to mine because she writes that he offered the extended benefits in order to "silence the gay revolution" and that this memorandum was a consolation prize to appease the gay community. She goes on to say that "Granting one [right] does not absolve trespass over the other rights." This is an excellent and resonant point because Obama posits that one right is sufficient enough to compensate for the past decades that gay partners have been denied government entitlements.

Similarly, I reasoned that the timing of this memorandum suggested that he did so out of guilt, 1) for acting too slowly on gay rights despite his campaign promises and 2) as an apology, although I like Ruby-Sach's wording "consolation prize" better, for the homophobic brief released by his Justice Department.

This is just another reminder that "Great Minds Think Alike".

No comments:

Post a Comment