Sunday, June 14, 2009

Studies on Gaydar

To honor the name of my blog I want to give you a better understanding of what 'gaydar' is, if there is some confusion. Gaydar is a portmanteau of 'gay' and 'radar'; put the two together as the word portmanteau suggests and out pops gaydar. As a gay, I need to admit that my gaydar is pretty much on point, maybe with a margin of error of plus and minus 1 (read: out of a sample of 10 guys I suspect are gay, 1 is not although that -1 guy is probably a metrosexual...ugh I'm fooled every time!). Thus, gaydar is the intuitive ability to detect that a person might just be same-sex oriented.

But, it is not uncommon for gay men and women to have gaydar. In fact, a study published by The Monell Chemical Senses Center concluded that "gay men were found to be particularly good at detecting the musk of other gay men". Gaydar, too, has found its way into popular culture, with references to it as a popular buzzword in the media, and in The Office Jim sends Dwight a gaydar device that he says is sold by the Sharper Image. I checked the Sharper Image's website and no such gaydar metal detector exists. But who knows what their R&D will come up with next!

Additionally, in The Science of Gaydar from New York Magazine, researchers shed new light on the verbal and non verbals signals that make you appear gay (note: appearing gay is not synonymous with being gay, even though popular culture likes to make you believe that, although there's a high correlation between the two). This shortlist is what supposedly makes my gaydar go off. If you find that any examples apply to you...then scientifically you appear gay. This is verbatim from the article:
  1. Gay men are more likely to have a counter-clockwise hair whorl.
  2. Gay men and women are more likely to have an increased density of fingerprint ridges on the thumb and pinkie of the left hand.
  3. The index fingers of most straight men are shorter than their ring fingers, and for most women they are the same length or longer. Gay men and lesbians tend to have reversed ratios.
  4. Gay men and lesbians are 50% more likely to be left-handed or ambidextrous.
Number 3 most definitely applies to me. And I don't think currently my hair whorl and my fingerprint density are very telling, and I'm right-handed. But, next time you're out and you're not sure if that good-looking someone is gay, ask him to show you his hair whorl! Hey, at least it's an interesting ice breaker!

What sets your gaydar off?

3 comments:

  1. I just read the New York mag article and tend to doubt most of these "scientific" studies, although I will say that my index finger is longer than my ring finger. And since have twins, a boy and girl and my son is gay and my daughter is straight, wouldn't that discredit the in utero thingy? But it's interesting reading anyway, and I do believe a person's sexual orientation is biological. Although I've always been fascinated with the study of identical twins and the so-called findings that of the studied twins, in 52% of the cases, one is gay and one is straight. I find it fascinating because identical twins spring from only one fertilized that splits. So if the egg hadn't split and only one person was born, would that necessarily meant the person had to be bi-sexual? Just wondering. btw, what is a "hair whorl"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hair whorl is the patch of hair that swirls around on the top of a person's head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok buddy, so I found your blog, and at first I thought Gaydar sounded like a dinosaur name. It's nice to see you're putting effort into this blog. Hehehe, by the way, I'm left-handed but I know for sure that I love women.

    ReplyDelete